Join our Giving Gardens Club!
Whether you’re a new or seasoned gardener, we want to support our food pantry clients, volunteers, and neighbors with home gardening resources and other food-related information.
Resources offered include seeds, seedlings, garden consultation and assistance, tool sharing, education, and leadership opportunities.
Fill out an application here!
Inquire further by contacting Carly at (248) 548-3663 or [email protected]
Volunteer at Giving Gardens- Sundays 10am-12pm, Wednesdays 9-11Aam.
- Please RSVP by emailing [email protected]
- Volunteers of all backgrounds, ages, and abilities are welcome! (Children under 16 should be accompanied by an adult. Our spaces are wheelchair-accessible.)
- Come prepared:
- Dress appropriately for the weather and for working with the soil.
- Bring a water bottle, snacks, sunscreen, and anything else you might need.
- If you are unable to lift 20 lbs, have any medical issues, or other concerns, please let us know.
- What to expect:
- The type of work is dependent on the weather and time of season. It can include planting, weeding, watering, harvesting, garden maintenance, and other projects.
- We have bathrooms, drinking fountains, gloves, and tools on-site.
- We promote a safe and inclusive space for everyone, including our food pantry clients.
- Come ready to learn, meet other gardeners, and have fun!
Learn applicable skills and knowledge from experts in the fields of farming, Judaism, social justice, and environmentalism. Our monthly workshops feature guest educators and themes tied to the Hebrew Calendar. Follow us on facebook and sign up for our newsletter and we will keep you in the loop!
Educational Opportunities- Food, Environmentalism & Judaism
Join our teen leadership program with PeerCorps!
As a site for PeerCorps participants, highschool-aged mentors and middle school-aged mentees work and learn together about the work of Yad Ezra and Giving Gardens. This program explores the intersection of Judaism, food justice, and food skills with field trips to Detroit, guest speakers, and personal development. We are currently accepting participants for upcoming Fall and Spring semesters. Email [email protected] for details.
Are you a Jewish educator looking for an enriching and experiential field trip? Bring your students to Giving Gardens at Yad Ezra and explore Jewish texts on relating to the land/the self/the other, connect growing food to addressing hunger, gain hands-on food skills, and more. Contact us to hear about our various programs.
Host Classes, Events, and Giving Gardens Fundraisers at Yad Ezra
Yad Ezra is a learning lab for our food system- the network that brings our food from the ground to our plates. Through our food pantry and Giving Gardens, we demonstrate each step of our food’s journey, from growing and harvesting to distribution. We are the perfect site to hold your class on Jewish food, food justice, or land stewardship.
Interested in helping our project thrive? Consider organizing a fundraising event with us!
Contact Carly Sugar at [email protected] or (248) 548-3663.